It’s an interesting fact that the cities ranked most liveable are not always the cities that are most loved. Traveller Magazine’s globetrotting backpacker, Ben Groundwater exemplifies that fact with a 10 most lovable cities list. That’s not to say that factors such as crime rate, health system, pollution or the cost of living, which are often used to measure quality of life, don’t have an impact on whether or not a city is widely loved.
Take Rio de Janeiro, which makes Groundwater’s list of most loved cities. It’s a Lovemark. On the most liveable cities index (ranked using data) it didn’t make the top 25. While data determines which cities are most liveable, it’s emotion and personal connection that determines which cities are loved. The strongest relationships run on deep emotional connections. A Lovemark creates Loyalty Beyond Reason.
What makes a great city will be slightly different for each and every one of us. For me it should score in these 10 areas:
- Mobility…great cities enable you to move about easily…and to get in and out of.
- Cultural Joy…surprises around every corner, sculpture and art etc…cities need these.
- Connectivity…great broadband is a table stake. Got to connect.
- The Food…outstanding eating experiences are integral for any city that wants to become a Lovemark…from Michelin stars to street vendors.
- The Sea…to me most great cities are anchored near the sea – you need water to sense beauty and adventure.
- The People…friendly, fun, entrepreneurial, multicultural, proud.
- The Sport…a top class team that fans want to be part of. A movement of aspiration, ambition, and winning…a beacon to youth.
- The Music…streetbeat poetry and stories all set to the special rhythm of the city (‘Girl from Ipanema’).
- The History…the connecting of past, present and future.
- The Grit…down to earth, real humanity…the good, the bad and the ugly.
The journey from good to great, liveability to loveability, is about pouring mystery, sensuality and intimacy into the mix. These are my Lovemark cities…
- Rio de Janeiro
- Cape Town
- San Francisco
… What are your Lovemark cities?