Coronavirus – Covid-19
We have decided to Keep Calm and Carry On.
We’ll review our plans every week but right now it’s about being sensible, balanced and careful.
So it’s off to Chicago and Grasmere for me.
Chicago, New Jersey and Puerto Rico for Trudy (although the temptation to stay put in Arizona was strong – in the end we decided life was for living not for hibernating).
Some points to consider in the middle of all the more discouraging news:
- 14% of people who contract Covid-19 are taken to hospital. 5% need intensive care.
- The vast majority who get the virus suffer nothing more than a cough.
- The reported death rate is 3% but experts believe it’s around 1-2% as most mild cases have not been counted.
- Seasonal flu kills 0.1% of people so Covid-19 is between 10-20 times more viral… but far far less dangerous than SARS which killed 10% of patients.
- Covid-19 is passed on to 2.6 people, for Flu that number is 1.5.
- Symptoms generally appear within 6 days.
- Children seem to be at low risk.
- Treatment, currently is about relieving symptoms and keeping secondary problems at bay.
- 20 teams around the world are already manufacturing vaccines. Human trials will start in London next month.
- The disease is expected to peak in June then decline… and from then on will return every Winter like Flu.
As Winston Churchill said
‘When going through Hell,