Unleash the Flâneur Within (Part II)
Here is my three-point starter kit for the 21st century flâneur:
Plunge Into Chaos.
Go where your heart takes you, but too much structure and order sterilises the art. It sucks out the life. Here are my 5 cities for unadulterated, joyous flânerie:
- 1.New York (Street beat)
- Rio (the exuberance of the body)
- Beirut (a whiff of danger)
- Barcelona (Viva Guardiola)
- Manchester (See Silva, de Brujne and Aguero).
Feel the Pulse.
For me there are five ways to get the rhythm of a city, to feel its meaning:
- Read fiction set in that city – from any period.
- Listen to the music on the street.
- Eat local food in local bars and street vendors.
- Visit local art galleries.
- Watch the local soccer team.
Take the Right Equipment.
Woody Hayes said luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Here’s my equipment:
- An open mind.
- A ‘Flow’ personality (positive tending on radical optimism).
- A waterproof chest and a bullet proof back (so if people throw bad stuff at you, it bounces off your front or runs off your back).